I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
Happy Monday, and Happy Memorial Day! I hope your day is beautiful today and that we remember to honor those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our country!
We all want to age gracefully and look our best through every stage and season of life- so here is your essential guide to doing just that! Today I’ll build upon the first part of this series and share your skincare and beauty plan for your 40’s.
The 40’s…. so many wonderful women in my life say that this is an incredible decade to be in! This is the prime of your life- there has never been a better time to age gracefully than now!
During the 40’s, the building blocks of the skin that are present in youth continue to decline such as Collagen, Elastin as well as Hyaluronic Acid (an acid present in the skin that can hold 1000 times its weight in water!) During this decade you may struggle with TEWL (Trans Epidermal Water Loss) due to the decline in H.A., as well as skin that may feel more lax, as in the 30’s. What’s different here is you may start to enter peri-menopause, and your skin will start to feel these hormonal shifts in a myriad of ways. Some women experience adult acne, some experience very dehydrated and dull skin, while others may start to suddenly notice fine lines that weren’t there before, almost overnight. Don’t panic! There are many options available to you, and most are non-invasive!
What to Do
- Know your skin type, and treat your skin accordingly. As I’ve mentioned in my Skin Analysis post, having a professional skin analysis is the best starting point to know how your skin behaves as well as how to address any conditions you may have. I hope you have made regular facials a part of your self care routine.
- G.R.A.S.. Theory is an absolute MUST. Growth Factors, Prescription or non prescription Retinols, Antioxidants and Sunscreen! You can read more about this regimen here.
- Now is definitely the time for injectables. Schedule a consultation with a qualified provider such as a Nurse Injector (the best are Certified Aesthetic Nurse Specialists, or CANS), a P.A., A Dermatologist or a Plastic Surgeon. He or she can properly assess your face, discuss your goals, and recommend the appropriate course of action when it comes to the use of neuromodulators such as Botox, and fillers such as Restylane. If you feel your lips have started thinning, the injectable Juvederm Volbella has been proven to last for a full year and gives a full but natural looking pout!
- If your brows are thinning, consider microblading. Nothing can change the appearance of your face more than a beautiful, strong brow. If you are finding that your brows are starting to thin and become sparse, consider getting them microbladed; a semi-permanent pigmenting done by a highly trained professional who specializes in this type of artistry.
- Amp up your fitness and healthy diet. Filling your diet with micronutrients and antioxidants from plant based foods will give your skin a perfect glow, and there is NOTHING better for your skin and health than a good old fashioned sweat session! Exercising regularly and eating for beautiful skin will keep you looking and feeling your absolute best! Even a 45 minute walk after dinner each night will yield tremendous benefits!
- Consider seeing an acupuncturist and taking herbs. Supporting and rejuvenating the body with Chinese Medicine and Chinese Herbs can help with your energy levels as well as nourishing your skin from the inside out! Make sure you select a qualified Acupuncturist with good word of mouth referrals!